The Ideal Boat
The Ideal 18 is a fun daysailer designed by Bruce Kirby.
The Shumway's commissioned the boat with Simplicity,
Comfort, and Performance in mind.
Download the Owner's Manual, Rigging, and Tuning Guide (PDF)
New Boats will be available Spring 2015!
You can now view an Ideal 18 video online, brought to you by
StreamTeam. There is a
You may need to download the
Windows Media Player
to view the video.
Or, you can purchase the DVD for $10.00 plus shipping. Call us
at the phone numbers shown at the bottom of the page to place an order.
You can purchase
for your Ideal 18 through Shumway Marine. You can also get
licensed sails through
Now you can buy Ideal 18 logo apparel and gear through
Coral Reef Sailing Apparel.
Click on any image to view a larger version.
- Easy to rig and sail by yourself.
- Fully-battened main is easy to set.
- Roller-furling, self-tacking jib.
- 245 sq. ft. spinnaker.
- Easy to trailer and launch.
- 8' cockpit with well-laid out lines and rigging.
- Full-length molded bench seats with angled backs.
- Room for friends - up to four adults comfortably.
- Cuddy under the foredeck holds gear or even a 2 hp outboard.
- Transom can function as a swim platform.
- 700 lb. keel keeps the boat stable and dry.
- Built by Ontario Yachts, a premier builder
of small fiberglass sailboats, top quality construction methods
and equipment are used.
- Strict principles of one-design racing do not permit hull or
keel fairing or most other modifications.
- The boat manuevers like a dinghy and has a large, powerful
mailsail (108 sq. ft.).
The Ideal 18 Class Association
is registered with
the US Sailing Association and the Canadian Yachting Association
as a one-design racing sailboat fleet
There is a mailing list for the class that you can subscribe to by
sending an email message to:
The 2014 Ideal North American's will be hosted by the
Indian Harbor Yacht Club in Greenwich, CT.
Ideal 18 Class Association
40 Marina Drive
Rochester, NY 14617
585.342.3030 or 800.433.2518