The Ideal Boat
The Ideal 18 is a fun daysailer designed by Bruce Kirby.
The Shumway's commissioned the boat with Simplicity,
Comfort, and Performance in mind.
Download the Owner's Manual, Rigging, and Tuning Guide (PDF)
New Boats will be available Spring 2017!
You can purchase
for your Ideal 18 through Shumway Marine. You can also get
licensed sails through
Now you can buy Ideal 18 logo apparel and gear through
Coral Reef Sailing Apparel.
Click on any image to view a larger version.
- Easy to rig and sail by yourself.
- Fully-battened main is easy to set.
- Roller-furling, self-tacking jib.
- 245 sq. ft. spinnaker.
- Easy to trailer and launch.
- 8' cockpit with well-laid out lines and rigging.
- Full-length molded bench seats with angled backs.
- Room for friends - up to four adults comfortably.
- Cuddy under the foredeck holds gear or even a 2 hp outboard.
- Transom can function as a swim platform.
- 700 lb. keel keeps the boat stable and dry.
- Built by Shumway Marine.
- Strict principles of one-design racing do not permit hull or
keel fairing or most other modifications.
- The boat manuevers like a dinghy and has a large, powerful
mailsail (108 sq. ft.).
The Ideal 18 Class Association
is registered with
the US Sailing Association and the Canadian Yachting Association
as a one-design racing sailboat fleet
Ideal 18 Class Association
40 Marina Drive
Rochester, NY 14617
585.342.3030 or 800.433.2518